Friday, June 01, 2007

Great new SharePoint book by Ted and Dan, see you at TechEd


Inside Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0

The SharePoint book that I have been waiting for the most has finally arrived. It seems like Clinton was still president when I ordered it :), but this book was well worth the wait. Back when I first heard that Ted Pattision and Daniel Larson were teaming up to write a SharePoint book, I got pretty excited. I knew these guys would have a knock-out book for SharePoint developers, and I'm happy to say I was right.

With this book, you will learn how to:
  • Build application pages and site pages
  • Develop and deploy reusable Web parts to enable customization and personalization
  • Exploit Windows SharePoint APIs to deploy Microsoft ASP.NET AJAX components
  • Use XML and Collaborative Application Markup Language (CAML) to create provisioning components
  • Design and implement custom document libraries
  • Use Windows Workflow Foundation to create applications that automate business process
  • Create Site Definitions to aggregate components and package them for deployment
  • Implement Code Access Security, Trust Levels, authentication, and authorization
Do yourself a huge favor, and go spend five minutes on Amazon ordering yourself a copy.

I hope that I get a chance to run into Ted and Daniel next week at TechEd in Orlando, to compliment them on the outstanding book. Are you going to TechEd? If so, please stop by our SharePoint Solutions booth and say hi. We'll be happy to demo our software add-ons for SharePoint, show you our training materials, talk about consulting, or just shoot the breeze. Our booth number in #254.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to do a some thing as explaine dbelow. Can you please tell me if it is possible in wss v3?

I want to create my own custom mastser page and all it has is the site actions control (so that I can do edit page create page etc ) (and please i dont want to have any other control that comes in the defualt.master) and text that says hello (The reason I am using just hello text is because if i can write hello text I can create my own custom controls). Once I create this page I want to be able to put this in _catalogs/master pages/ folder. Then I would like to create a Helloworld.aspx layout page that uses the above created master page and I want to enable creating this Helloworld.aspx using a feature in wss v3. What is this whole thing I am hearing about minimal master page. Why cant something like I have described above be acheived?

Any ideas? It looks like it is a reasonable thing to do because then I have complete control and versatility on what i can do on the master pages.

Also why is a site definition restricted to one master page. It would be nice to have a built in feature which allows us to choose master page at the time of creating a page.